Frequently Asked Questions
What type of seaweed is used in SeaSnax?
The organic seaweed that goes into SeaSnax is called porphyra, red algae or deep purple laver, also referred to as nori in Japan and kim in Korea.
Where do your sea vegetables come from?
Our seaweed is sustainably harvested, roasted and packaged in Korea. Many Westerners are still somewhat unfamiliar with eating sea vegetables but in Korea and many parts of Asia, it's a part of almost every meal
. We are a small family-run business and take care to source only the finest quality seaweed to make our products.
What are the benefits of eating sea vegetables?
Many nutritionists believe sea vegetables are one of the healthiest foods on earth. Research indicates that seaweed is rich in minerals such as iodine, calcium, sodium, magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, copper and selenium.
What is best way to store SeaSnax?
We recommend storage in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight. Once opened, re-seal the leftovers in a zip-lock bag and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
What is the NON-GMO Project and what does the seal mean?
SeaSnax is proud to be the first NON-GMO Project Verified roasted seaweed snack. We use olive oil, not corn or canola oil which are at risk for GMO (genetically modified organisms).
According to the Non-GMO Project:
“The Non-GMO Project is the only organization offering independent verification of testing and GMO controls for products in the U.S. and Canada. Buying products that are verified by our program is the best way to support the sustained availability of non-GMO choices in North America. The retailers who started the Non-GMO Project were motivated by a simple idea. They believed that consumers in North America should have access to clearly-labeled non-GMO food and products, now and in the future. That conviction continues to guide the Non-GMO Project, as North America’s only independent verification for products made according to best practices for GMO avoidance.
The verification seal indicates that the product bearing the seal has gone through our verification process. Our verification is an assurance that a product has been produced according to consensus-based best practices for GMO avoidance:
- We require ongoing testing of all at-risk ingredients—any ingredient being grown commercially in GMO form must be tested prior to use in a verified product.
- We use an Action Threshold of 0.9%. This is in alignment with laws in the European Union, where any product containing more than 0.9% GMO must be labeled.
- After the test, we require rigorous traceability and segregation practices to be followed in order to ensure ingredient integrity through to the finished product.
- For low-risk ingredients, we conduct a thorough review of ingredient specification sheets to determine absence of GMO risk.
- Verification is maintained through an annual audit, along with onsite inspections for high-risk products."
SeaSnax is proud to offer our consumers a product with the NON-GMO Project Verified seal!
If you would like to learn more please visit their site: http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/understanding-our-seal/
What do you mean by “Live a little, give a little?”
At SeaSnax we have a motto: "Live a little, give a little." Since we are a family business concerned for our world and our world’s children, we commit 10% of our annual profits to non-profit organizations committed to making the world a better and gentler place for our children and our earth. Below are just a handful of organizations SeaSnax has supported, partnered with and or sponsored:
- Children's Miracle Network
- Amrit Davaa World Health
- Sherman Oaks Nursery School
- WIE (Women: Inspiration & Enterprise)
- The Women’s Conference
- American Cinematheque Award Honoring Matt Damon
- Children’s Nature Institute’s (CNI) Silver Anniversary Gala
- Pregnancy Awareness Month &tm; (PAM) with Anna Getty
- EMMY's w/ George Clooney, Susan Sarandon, and Morgan Freeman
- Hawthorne Valley Waldorf School
- Genesis Awards of the Humane Society of US
- Non-GMO Project: Let’s Talk About Food Festival, Boston
- Kids Make a Difference, World Vegan Day
- Empoweresque, 1st Annual Benefit Celebration by Ian Somerhalder Foundation
- The 24 Hour Plays on Broadway Benefit – Urban Arts Partnership
Do you ship outside the US?
We do not ship internationally but our products are currently available in fine health food stores in Canada, Japan, Singapore and Germany. If you are a food importer or distributor in another country and are interested in carrying SeaSnax please feel free to contact us at info(at)seasnax.com