Kombu Shiitake Dashi
This dashi is an adaptation of the Angelika’s Kitchen recipe. It’s an excellent soup stock, and can be used as a base for a noodle dish or for steaming fish.
- 2 quarts cold water
- 2-3 pieces kombu seaweed
- 1 ½ cups dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup shoyu or tamari
- 1/4 cup finely grated ginger
- Heat water and kombu in a medium saucepan and bring to a high simmer. Do not boil. Remove the kombu and discard.
- Add the mushrooms, reduce the heat to low, and simmer gently, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Strain the broth, reserving the mushrooms for another use.
Makes 2 quarts